Thank you for considering an undergraduate education in the IU Fairbanks School of Public Health at IUPUI. We understand the importance of this decision to your future, and the investment of time, energy, and money it takes to attend college. We welcome the opportunity to meet with you, and we encourage you to contact us to schedule a time to visit the school to learn more about us.
At FSPH we strive to provide intellectual challenges as well as to provide opportunities to get involved in the community, develop leadership skills, and build relationships both at the university and the community with others interested in impacting the health of our nation. At the end of your academic journey with us, you will be empowered and prepared to make a difference in your communities, the nation, and the world.
Public Health and Health Administration are two of the fastest growing segments of the US Economy and are projected to continue this growth far into the future, both in the US and abroad. We are excited about being a part of this growth at the Fairbanks School of Public Health and hope you will consider joining us as we build the future of improved health and health systems at this important time in our world!
Here are the competencies you will gain from completing our undergraduate programs:
- Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, including public health and health care professionals, individually and in group settings using verbal, written, and electronic modes of communication.
- Use statistical and other quantitative analysis tools and techniques to understand issues and problems in health care organizations and systems.
- Use basic financial tools, principles and practices to review and analyze financial performance of organizations and implement controls as required.
- Apply human resource best practices for management of human capital in an organization.
- Use marketing concepts and skills to analyze markets, develop marketing plans, and measure the impact of marketing activities to raise awareness and increase growth of the organization’s market share.
- Participate in developing and implementing plans and policies to improve the delivery of health services.
- Work individually and within a team-setting by applying organizational knowledge and leadership skills.
- Recognize and demonstrate sensitivity to diverse points of view.
- Seek principled solutions to health services delivery issues.
- Describe the core functions, values and principles of public health.
- Utilize data and apply methods to characterize the public’s health.
- Identify determinants of health that contribute to health disparities and health equity.
- Demonstrate skill in effective public health communication.
- Design solutions to address public health problems.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Carole Kacius, PhD
Associate Dean of Education and Training