Master of Science in Biostatistics
This new curriculum applies to students entering the MS program in the fall of 2017 and beyond. Students who entered the MS program prior to the fall of 2017 may switch to this new curriculum with prior approval and guidance from their faculty advisor. View the curriculum prior to the Fall of 2017.
The IU Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health offers a Master of Science (MS) in Biostatistics. The Master of Science in Biostatistics provides highly focused training in statistical theory and biostatistical methods, with an emphasis on their application in a broad array of health sciences. Students in this program are trained to be professional biostatisticians who are well qualified for employment in government and private health agencies, industry and research institutes. The MS program also serves as excellent preparation for doctoral programs in biostatistics.
- STAT 51900 Introduction to Probability or STAT 51600 Basic Probability Applications (3 credits)
- STAT 52800 Mathematical Statistics I or STAT 51700 Statistical Inference (3 credits)
- PBHL B571 Biostatistics Method I-Linear Model in Public Health (4 credits)
- PBHL B572 Biostatistics Method II-Categorical Data Analysis (4 credits)
- PBHL B573 Biostatistics Method III-Applied Survival Data Analysis (4 credits)
- PBHL B574 Biostatistics Method IV-Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis (3 credits)
- PBHL B581 Biostatistics Computing (3 credits)
Required Public Health Courses (3 Credit Hours)
- A505 Introduction to Public Health Environmental Health Science (1 credit)
- H505 Introduction to Public Health Health Policy and Management (1 credit)
- S505 Introduction to Public Health Social and Behavioral Health Science (1 credit)
Required Epidemiology Courses (3 Credit Hours)
- PBHL E517 Fundamentals of Epidemiology (3 credits)
Elective Courses (Up to 6 Credit Hours)
Any relevant courses upon departmental approval.
Register for six hours for writing MS thesis.
Take six hours of electives and pass the MS competency exam.
Want To Know More?
Do you have questions about how to make the MS in Biostatistics degree work for you? We’re happy to answer all your questions. Just click the button below to request information.