Join us March 11 – 19, 2017
Study Global Public Health In Nicaragua
One amazing week can change your entire life
This international experience is one in a series of Fairbanks School of Public Health study abroad courses, and is being offered in collaboration with the IU Department of Family Medicine’s ENLACE Project. Join us for an in-depth introduction to the health system in Nicaragua. You’ll have the opportunity to compare and contrast health systems in Nicaragua and the United States. Participants will spend substantial time out in the field visiting Nicaraguan health facilities, as well as historical and cultural sites. You’ll also participate in a meaningful service project in which you’ll construct composting latrines to improve public and environmental health in the rural community of Zacataloza.
How will this experience change your life?
- You’ll get to work with local partners to build public health capacity by building composting latrines
- You’ll gain a heightened awareness of global public health issues
- You’ll hone your understanding of infrastructure development
- You’ll deepen your cultural competencies and foster a lifelong commitment to social advocacy and engagement
The available coursework is particularly suited for the following academic interests: Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry, Public Health/Public Health Administration, Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Health Communication, and Health Sciences.
This experience is open to undergraduate and graduate public health students, as well as medical students from any of the IUSM regional campuses, dental, and graduate allied health and health professions students from any IU campus. You must be in good academic and disciplinary standing in accordance with university policy. Spanish-speaking skills are helpful, but not required. This program is currently pending University approval.
March 11 – 19, 2017
This study abroad course includes four mandatory pre-trip sessions. Students enrolling in this study abroad course to Nicaragua must attend all four of these pre-trip meetings.
- Meeting 1 | January 20, 2017 | 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Meeting 2 | January 27, 2017 | 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Meeting 3 | February 17, 2017 | 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Meeting 4 | March 3, 2017 | 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.