Faculty & Staff
Eric Wright, PhD
Director, Center for Health Policy
Dr. Eric Wright joined the faculty at IUPUI in 1996. He began his career at IUPUI in the Department of Sociology in the School of Liberal Arts, where he was promoted to Associate Professor in July 2001. He joined the SPEA IUPUI faculty in August 2005 to lead the development of the new Center for Health Policy. He maintains an active research agenda in the area of health policy and health services research. Dr. Wright was promoted to Associate Dean of SPEA in May 2009.
- Ph.D., Sociology, Indiana University-Bloomington
- M.A., Sociology, Indiana University-Bloomington
- B.A., Sociology, Lewis and Clark College
- American Sociological Association (Medical, Mental Health, and Sex and Gender Sections)
- American Public Health Association (Mental Health and HIV / AIDS Sections)
- Academy Health
- International Network for Social Network Analysis
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sex
- Society for the Study of Social Problems (Mental Health and Health Care and Health Policy Divisions)
- Sociologists' AIDS Network
MAJOR FIELDS OF EXPERTISE
- Health policy and health services research
- Mental health policy and services research
- HIV / AIDS / STI prevention
- Program evaluation
- Medical sociology
- Carrie Foote-Ardah and Eric R. Wright (Contributing Editors). 2006. Teaching the Sociology of AIDS: Syllabi, Lectures, and Other Resources for Instructors and Students, Third Edition. Washington, D.C.: American Sociological Association Teaching Resources Center and the Sociologists' AIDS Network.
- Eric R. Wright, Dustin E. Wright, Harold E. Kooreman, and Jeffrey A. Anderson. 2006. "The Nature and Impact of Conflict within Service Coordination Teams for Children and Adolescents with Serious Emotional and Behavioral Challenges." Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research 33(3):302
- Brea L. Perry and Eric R. Wright. 2006. "The Sexual Partnerships of People with Serious Mental Illness." Journal of Sex Research 43(2):174-181.
- Eric R. Wright and Brea L. Perry. 2006. "Sexual Identity Distress, Social Support, and the Health of Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Youth." Journal of Homosexuality 51(1):81-109.
- Jeffrey A. Anderson, Vicki Effland, Harold E. Kooreman, and Eric R. Wright. 2006. "Predicting Functional Improvement Over Time in a System of Care." Families in Society: The Journal of Contemporary Human Services 87(3):438-446.
- Eric R. Wright, Lisa A. Russell, Jeffrey A. Anderson, Harold E. Kooreman, and Dustin E. Wright. 2006. "Impact of Team Structure on Achieving Treatment Goals in a System of Care." Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders 14(4):240-250.
- Eric R. Wright, Dustin E. Wright, Brea L. Perry, and Carrie Foote-Ardah. 2007. "Stigma and the Sexual Isolation of People with Serious Mental Illness." Social Problems 54(4):78-98.
- Eric R. Wright, Dustin E. Wright, and Anthony Lawson. 2007. "HIV Prevention Services for Adults with Serious Mental Illness in Public Mental Health Care Programs." Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community 33(1/2):63-77.
- Jeffrey A. Anderson, Eric R. Wright, Josh S. Smith, & Harold E. Kooreman. 2007. "Educational Profiles of Students at Enrollment in a System of Care." Remedial and Special Education 28(1):9-20.
- Eric R. Wright, Marion Greene, and Harold Kooreman, 2007. The Consumption and Consequences of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drugs in Indiana: A State Epidemiological Profile 2007. (Study Report). Indianapolis, IN: Center for Health Policy and the Environment. Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis Indiana.
- SPHA-H 120 Contemporary Health Issues
- SPHA-H 501 U.S. Health Care: Systems, Policies, and Ethical Challenges
- SPHA-H 515 Seminar in Health Policy
- Director, Center for Health Policy, Indiana University Institute for Public Policy
- Co-Director, Consortium for Health Policy, Law, and Bioethics, An IUPUI Signature Center
- Co-chair, Health Care Reform Study Group, Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, March 2007-present
- Associate Director, Indiana Consortium for Mental Health Services Research, IUPUI, 1994-present.
- Secretary-Treasurer, Section on Medical Sociology, American Sociological Association, 2007-2009
- Chair, Mental Health Division, Society for the Study of Social Problems, 2005-2007.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Edwin H. Sutherland Award for Excellence in Teaching. Department of Sociology, Indiana University-Bloomington, 1988.
- Lieber Associate Instructor Distinguished Teaching Award, Indiana University, 1993.
- Roberta G. Simmons Award for Outstanding Dissertation in Medical Sociology, Section on Medical Sociology, American Sociological Association, 1995.
- Outstanding New Faculty Award, IUPUI, 1999.
- Indiana University Trustees' Teaching Award, 2001.
- Inductee, Indiana University Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching, 2002.
- President's Award for Distinguished Contributions to Teaching, Indiana University, 2004
- Outstanding Resident Faculty for Graduate Students, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, 2006